Tuesday 17 May 2016

Maypoles in May!

Hey! How are you?
Enjoying May?
As I had a brief  thought about about what to create, I got my Forest Friends set out and looked at it blankly. I then remembered it was May.
May led me to thinking about what happens in May...and hey presto... Maypoles!
For any of you unfamiliar with the English tradition (well, to be fair, it's often classed as English but there are different European forms of this tradition), it was to do with celebrating and a May Pageant and this type of maypole that I've depicted was popularised in the 1880s.
I have slightly uncomfortable memories of learning how to do maypole dancing for a primary school celebration and it consisted of many hours, often holding hands with boys with very sweaty hands. I guess we might have looked a little like this
 Anyhow- you've come to see a card and not have a history lesson.. so here's my ode to the Maypole
 I've used this My Favorite Things set Forest Friends, which is a set with a whole lot of cuteness going on.
I mean, any set that can transform itself into a Star Wars battle and then a historically unprecise sceen has to be worth a punt!
I stamped then coloured them in with alcohol markers. Some of mine are running out and I've got my eye on the new Kuratake Kurecolor markers

Wrapping the thin slithers of cardstock was easier than I imagined oddl therapeutic. Ideally, I should have given them knotted handkerchiefs on their heads and made them into Morris Dancers too- but perhaps the whole Morris thing is for another week ;-)

See you soon... 

Keren xx

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous design and such a clever idea! Love it Keren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun card! I remember being traumatised at infant school, trying to learn to dance round the maypole too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team