Wednesday 8 February 2017

Shoot for the Stars galaxy card with My Favorite Things


Hello, it's Esther here. The cards I'm sharing today were inspired by a recent visit to the National Space Centre in Leicester. If you've never been there, you must drop everything and go immediately! I spent most of a day wandering entranced through interactive displays, going on a wonderful and hair-raising flight simulator to Europa (Jupiter's icy moon) and watching open-mouthed as the Planetarium showed a "total surround" award winning, 3D trip back to the Big Bang and the very beginning of spacetime. Wow!

I decided to make a pair of children's birthday cards in different colour ways using My Favorite Things Count the Stars.



The card backgrounds are inked to create galaxies. To recreate this, try using My Favorite Things Premium Dye Ink Pads. My first card uses shades of pink, purple, light blue, dark blue and black. My second card uses shades of light blue, green, dark yellow, dark blue and black. Add semi-blended streaks of colour in different shapes/directions to the middle of the card, extending to the edges in some places, and then ink an uneven black border. Keep adding bright colours and then re-defining the border, and eventually you'll have a galaxy. Then splatter water lightly over the top and mop it off to create the effect of stars. I added metallic splatter too.



I then die cut the inked backgrounds into a stitched rectangle using My Favorite Things Blueprints 29. Using the long sentiment strip with pierced edges from the same set, I stamped, heat embossed and die cut "shoot for the" from my Favorite Things Count the Stars stamp set in gold on black card for my first card and silver for my second. I repeated this with "stars" from the matching Count the Stars Dienamic set, this time die cutting, then stamping and heat embossing as the word dies are closed. I used my MISTI for placement.



Finally I added a star to each card using My Favorite Things Lucky Stars Dienamics. I decided to leave the cards at that, as I wanted the backgrounds to really stand out and not get covered up with more stamping or die cuts. Galaxies are really easy to create, and perfect for kids' cards, so I hope this encourages you to have a go if you haven't tried them so far.

Some other sets you could use with galaxy backgrounds: Altenew's Space Travel, My Favorite Things Out of this World, Paper Smooches Space Dies, Paper Smooches Space CadetCarta Bella Space Academy Solar System Die Set, Carta Bella Space Academy Space Travel Die Set, or Mama Elephant Space Bears. There's also the fabulous My Favorite Things Space Explorer set , new in the February release!

Thanks for stopping by!


        

8 comments:

  1. 2 lovely cards...great backgrounds and designs. I can see your inspiration shining through x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your galaxy backgrounds are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pictures from the universe and I also love your stunning Backgrounds! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing blended backgrounds on both cards. Glad you had such a great to to the museum and it's clear where your inspiration came from x Thank you for sharing these 'out of this world' cards x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team