Wednesday 19 April 2017

Layered owl birthday card


Hi everyone, it's Esther here with a card featuring lots of layers and die cuts. The starting point, though, was the absolutely gorgeous stamp set, Hero Arts Garden Flowers by Lia.


When it arrived, I loved it so much that I stamped a panel on card stock in grey ink using all the stamps still adhered to their wrap so it looked like a paler version of the packaging. I cut it to size using the large rectangle from Avery Elle Pierced Banner Layer Elle-ments, currently out of stock but definitely one for your wishlist, and then held on to that panel for ages while I figured out how to use it!

I finally decided to create a layered card, and so I've made the card you see today. 



The main products used for layers are My Favorite Things Inside & Out Stitched Circle STAX Dienamics (currently out of stock so use Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Circle Lawn Cuts instead), Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Frames, and the smaller rectangle inner from My Favorite Things Essential Cover Up Vertical Dienamic (it was the perfect size!). 

The decorative elements are Hero Arts Garden Flowers by Lia, My Favorite Things Wild Greenery, My Favorite Things I'm Owl Yours and matching dies, and a sentiment strip from My Favorite Things Blueprints 29.


This was a really fun card to make because it basically involved starting with a panel I loved and then going through my stash to see what dies I had that I could layer up with it. It was a really enjoyable process and I'd encourage you to go through your stash seeing what bits you've got that could work together for a new card.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you again tomorrow as I have an extra turn this week :)


      

    

9 comments:

  1. love the idea of stamping the stamps straight as they come - going to check out all my other sets to see what else would work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther I love the many layers, the elegant Grey on the back and the combination of blue and Brown on the sweet owl. This is a amazing Card! xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment Maria! x

      Delete
  3. Oh Esther, this is divine! Lovely card and a really clever idea. And how funny, I looked at a new set of stamps just the other day and almost stamped them straight off in a similar fashion! I recently watched a Jennifer McGuire tutorial where she also created a background in a similar way. Except, she literally went through her umpteen packs of sentiment stamps and then carefully positioned them on the Misti to create the background. It looked fabulous but all I could think of was 'how is she going to replace all those stamps into their rightful homes'! :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Di! I just loved the layout of those little toadstools and leaves and hearts so much, I wanted the panel to look exactly the same! :p No MISTI, just a foam stamping block and pressing down the stamps inked up in packaging wrap and hoping it would work. Very easy to put away, too! xx

      Delete
  4. Meant to finish off by saying that by the end of the tutorial, my teeth were itching with anxiety! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team